Topic: Computers and Technology
Have your windows 7 machine ever started then after the bios screen
and post then you see a black screen that has an insertion point that keeps blinking forever and ever as seen in the image below
Then it could posibly be the MBR (master boot record). To see the other posible causes go to Microsoft Support Article: 155053.
The MBR is the first sector of the hard drive. the MBR contains the partition table and the master boot program used to locate and start the BootMgr program (Jean andrews, A+ Guide to Software 5e). However if windows is not starting on your machine then your MBR could be corrupted. Below are some instructions on how to fix this problem.
- Insert the Windows 7 System repair disc (if you are using a system repair disk go to the next step) or a windows installation disc (after selecting a language click on the bottem left and click repair computer)
- Go to the command prompt
- Because you are in the recovery environment the default drive letter is x: so you want to select your primary drive usually C: (but some computers have other letters) by typing the letter with a colon for example C:
- then type bootrec.exe /fixmbr (Make sure you read the Microsoft support article that I listed above for information on this command)
- Then type exit and restart your computer.
- Your computer should start normally, if it doesn't try the other commands in the Microsoft Support Article.
This should solve the problem for you if you have had a problem like this one. And the best part is that it wasn't to serious to where you would have to reinstall windows, because then you would lose all of your data if you haven't backed up in a while.
Anyone that found this to be useful I ask that you leave a comment.